I have put this post in the Simple Living series, because of the very few ingredients it requires and the ease with which the recipe can be carried out.
Had I been more organised I would have posted about this far enough in advance for you all to try out this recipe in time for Valentines Day. But since you love your loved ones on more than one day of the year, i don’t suppose it is such a silly thing, to share this with you now.
HEART SHAPED COOKIES/JAM TART HEARTS
Ingredients make 16 oz shortcrust pastry
- 16 oz Plain Flour (all purpose flour)
- 4 oz Butter
- 4 oz Lard (or alternative shortening)
- Cold Water (enough to mix ingredients to a stiff dough)
- 4 oz Sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 14-16 tsps of strawberry jam (or preferred jam)
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
- Rub in the butter and lard until you’ve made breadcrumbs.
- Slowly begin adding the cold water, stirring it until it becomes ‘clumpy’.
- With your hands gather up the mixture to make a ball of dough.
- Turn dough out on to a floured board and roll it out.
- Grab yourself some funky heart shaped cookie cutters, 1 large and 1 small.
- With the large cutter cut 6 heart shapes and put them on your silicone sheet/baking tray.
- Spread the jam over the top of the hearts, leaving about 1 cm from the edge, free of jam. Wet the edges of the hearts to help the pastry topper to stick to it later.
- Roll out the rest of the dough.
- With the large cookie cutter cut another 6 large hearts.
- Place the small cookie cutter inside the large cutter, as shown below.
- Take the large pastry heart shape and place them on top of the jammy hearts. Pinch the edges down a little to stop your jam escaping when they are cooking in the oven.
- Place cookies into a preheated oven at 230 celsius ( online conversion table here).
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle on icing sugar to finish.
Now then, if you make them like I did, you will find that you have 16 little hearts left:
- Place 8 on your silicone sheet and place a blob of jam or mincemeat in the middle.
- With your rolling pin, roll each of the 8 leftover hearts to about 1/2 their side again. You want the lids to be larger than the hearts with the filling on them, in order to acommodate the filling.
- Bake in oven at 23o celcius for approximately 20-25 minutes.
- When baked, dust on a little icing sugar.
Yummy! And cute too!
- While i was in the baking mood i also made some mince tart.
- no recipe needed for this as it’s the same as above, but just halve the quantity of shortcrust pastry. Roll out a top and bottom. place bottom into a baking tray, spread over some mince meat, place the pastry lid on top and bake for about 45 minutes at the same temperature as above cookies.
I love it when a plan comes together! (not like my banana cake recipe the other day!)