For this cooking extravaganza i’m using my mum’s pizza scone base recipe.
The name could sound a bit off-putting but it doesn’t taste at all like scones, the omission being the eggs and sugar and dried fruits which are replaced in the recipe by grated/shredded cheese and dried herbs. I recommend this as a quick and filling meal or snack. It’s super easy to make and bake…. and eat too! LOL!
Since Wondergirl is a vegetarian i left the chorizo off a third of the pizza (as you can see in the pic below).
- 12 oz self raising flour
- 4 0z margarine
- salt and pepper to season, as preferred
- Dried herbs
- 200 grams of grated/shredded cheese
- 1-tbsp olive oil
- 6 tbsps of tomato puree
- milk to mix to a firm dough (not much is needed)
optional: chilli powder/pepperoni/onions/tomatoes or whatever other pizza topping you want to use.
- Pre-heat oven to 220 degrees.
- In a bowl, rub the margarine into the flour.
- Add 75 grams of the grated cheese along with the seasoning and mixed herbs.
- Bind together into a firm-ish pastry dough using as little milk as possible.
- Grease your baking tray.
- Put the dough on to the tray.
- Roll out the pastry with a rolling pin, while its on the tray….or do as i do….take the olive oil and rub it gently over the dough to flatten the dough with your hands until it is equally spread out over the whole of the baking tray (I usually then sprinkle about 1/2 a tsp of chilli powder on to the base and rub that in with the oil to give the pizza a little ‘kick’, but you do what you prefer)
- Spread the tomato puree all over the base. I use a pallette knife as it makes this easier.
- Place on top of the pizza, sliced toms, veggies, pepperoni etc as your preferred pizza topping.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and a generous smattering of herbs.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Place in the middle of a preheated oven for approx 25 minutes. (keep an eye on it though so it doesn’t get cremated)